Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Winged

I saw my first winged beings today ... small winged rather. The first dragonfly and the first two butterflies of spring. I look for these creatures every year, because with their coming marks the end of cold north winds and the emergence of warm winds from the south. The garden sections of the stores are busy with people buying soil, planters, and the first blooms the merchants offer. So much color and vibrance! The wildflowers have come up and opened their petals, painting roadsides and ditches pastel red, pink, blue, white, yellow. Thistle is blooming, another treat of mine. A lovely color and such a treat for the black swallowtail butterfly. In my own garden begonia, brugmansia, lily aloe and golden dewdrop awaken from their winter sleep and reach new leaves and growth toward the warming sun. Squirrels and birds flit around the birdbath I've placed there taking drinks and baths. This is why I've come to love the coming of spring so much.

No comments: